All That’s Right about Retargeting

mttb1Traditionally, internet marketing is about building a list of email subscribers to whom you follow up by sending emails. The purpose of those emails is to promote your products and services to potential customers and convert them into paying customers.

RetargetingThis marketing method has long been an effective way to increase conversion rates.

However, email marketing has become less effective over time.

With new technologies and social media platforms available, receiving email marketing content is no longer a “current” means of accessing information.

It’s not as instant as social networking sites, and many customers find that the number of emails in their inbox is too much of a nuisance to keep track.

What Is Retargeting?

An excellent alternative to traditional email marketing is retargeting or remarketing. Have you ever noticed a banner ad from a website you’ve previously visited appearing on a different site as you browse online?

It can seem like the banner ad is “following you around” as you surf the net.

ReTargeter defines retargeting as a, “form of online advertising that can help you keep your brand in front of bounced traffic after they leave your website.” It essentially keeps track of people who visit your site and retargets your ads to them as they visit other sites online.

How Does Retargeting Work?

All that’s really required for retargeting to work is for a JavaScript tag to be placed in the footer of your website. This code creates a list of people who visit your site by placing discreet retargeting cookies in their browser.

This list allows retargeting vendors to place ads in the sites your potential customers are browsing online.

Additionally, the pixel or cookie stays on the user’s browser until he or she clears the cookies from the system.

Why Is Retargeting so Effective?

Retargeting generates greater online sales by conspicuously placing youradroll brand on sites your prospect visits. It helps bring “window shoppers” back when they’re ready to buy.

Every time your customer sees your retargeting ads, your brand gains traction and more recognition.

The more your brand is in their psyche, the easier it is for them to be convinced of your presence and value.

According to AdRoll, “The high click-through rates and increased conversions that are typical with retargeting campaigns underscore the value of good branding and repeated exposure.”

Another Source of Leads

Because ad networks will show your banner ads to people who have been to your website, you can create another list of potential customers. Just as you would broadcast engaging content to your subscribers via email blasts, you should place effective banner ads that are click-worthy and appealing.

Retargeting Platforms

You can find a lot of retargeting platforms and vendors online that suit your budget and requirements. To make things easier for you, here are a few to help you decide:


Offers a wide range of marketing and remarketing solutions, including site retargeting, Facebook Exchange, CRM retargeting, email retargeting and search retargeting. ReTargeter does not have an inventory restriction dependent on spending level, so you will get a full network access.


Major global companies like Moz, Levi’s, Red Vines and Salesforce are using the AdRoll platform, indicating that the company must be using an effective retargeting structure.

The company also works with advertising partners like Facebook Exchange, Google, Yahoo and Microsoft, allowing you to reach 98 percent of sites on the internet.


You can easily set up Google’s retargeting capability from your Google AdWords account by adding the remarketing tag to your website. You can then build your ads, set up your campaign, and you’ll be ready to retarget.

According to a KissMetrics blog post, “Google remarketing takes place on the Google Display Network. This means you can reach close to 10 percent of the internet through their platform.”


Facebook retargeting can easily be integrated with your Facebook marketing campaigns. When customers visit your website, you could upload that list to your Facebook ad manager so it can retarget previous website visitors.


adrollRetargeting is something that is still new to me. I didn’t quite understand its significance but, as I’m always finding new ways to grow the business, its efficacy is easy to notice.

We get a lot of traffic, which is well over 1 million each month. That’s a major list we could be building if we consider all our options.

As well as conventional email marketing, retargeting could help you get better conversion rates. According to Adroll, 2 percent of shoppers convert on their first visit to an online store, and retargeting brings back the other 98 percent.

With such a high-converting list building method, it’s high time you consider retargeting for your own business.





Please follow and like us:
Loading Facebook Comments ...

Leave a Reply